Arts & Science Calendar 97-98: Table of Contents: Programs and Courses
Calendar: Contents | Calendar: Search | Programs & Courses |  Queries & Comments

Brief History of the University and the Faculty


Following are significant dates for the University and the Faculty. For a description of their governing structures, and details of the Colleges in the Faculty, please turn to Page 449.

1827
Royal Charter granted to establish King's College at York (Toronto), the state university of the Province of Upper Canada.

1836
Upper Canada Academy founded at Cobourg, Ontario. It became Victoria College in 1841.

1843
Official opening of King's College, located in former Parliament Buildings of the Province of Upper Canada. First degrees granted in 1844.

1849
King's College became University of Toronto; connection with the Church of England terminated.

1851
University of Trinity College established by Church of England.

1852
St. Michael's College established by the Basilian Order.

1853
University College established, assuming responsibility for all teaching in Arts in the University; the University became an examining and degree-granting body.

1856
Construction of present University College building started. Completed in 1859.

1881
St. Michael's College affiliated with the University. Full federation in 1910.

1887
Instruction begun in fields other than arts and the sciences. University College became purely an Arts College.

1890
East section of University College building, including University Library, gutted by fire. It was immediately reconstructed.

1892
Victoria College moved from Cobourg and federated with the University of Toronto.

1892
University Library opened; enlarged in 1909 and in 1954. (Now Sigmund Samuel Library)

1904
Trinity College federated with the University of Toronto.

1905
Part-time courses leading to the B.A. degree established.

1906
University of Toronto Act laid foundation for constitution of the University.

1920
Degree of Bachelor of Commerce established.

1925
Trinity College moved to present buildings from old Queen Street site.

1931
Ontario Upper School (Grade XIII) standing required for admission.

1960
Name of Faculty of Arts changed to "Faculty of Arts and Science".

1961
Degree of Bachelor of Science established.

1962
New College established.

1964
Innis College established.

1965
Scarborough College established.

1967
Erindale College established.

1971
University of Toronto Act 1971 established current governance of the University by a Governing Council. Scarborough College became separate Arts and Science division in the University.

1973
John P. Robarts Research Library opened.

1974
Woodsworth College established.


Return to: The University: Contents

Back to: [ Top of page | Calendar: Contents |  Calendar Search | Programs & Courses ]

We welcome your comments and enquiries.
Revised: August 19, 1998

All contents copyright , 1998. University of Toronto. All rights reserved.